According to the Arthritis Foundation, almost 43 million people in the United States, or one in six people, suffer from some kind of arthritis. Arthritis is usually chronic and can drastically change the lifestyle and freedom of those afflicted with it.
Common Warning Signs of Arthritis:
- Morning stiffness lasting 30 minutes or longer
- Joint pain or tenderness that is constant or that comes and goes
- Not being able to move a joint in the normal way
- Redness or warmth in a joint
- Weight loss, fever or weakness and joint pain that can’t be explained
If you have arthritis, exercising is essential for your general health and pain management. For everyone, exercise:
- Helps develop a better sleep pattern
- Helps with weight control
- Maintains a healthy heart
- Increases bone and muscle strength
- Decreases depression and fatigue
- Serves to improve self-esteem and self-confidence
Exercise is important for healthy joints. Moving your joints daily helps keep them fully mobile. Strengthening the surrounding muscles helps support the joints. Someone with arthritis should focus on 3 different types of exercises that include range of motion, strengthening, and endurance. Focusing on these types of exercise may improve your overall health as well as relieve arthritic pain.
Try to ease your arthritis pain with one of the fitness classes or aquatics programs offered at Abernethy Laurels’ fitness facility. For information on Core Fitness, contact Vanessa Smith at 828-465-8557.